"What do you do for a living?"
- When asked this question, our immediate response begins with our work title and what it is we do to pay the bills. However, workers with a lack of meaning at their job can decrease their productivity and tend to quit sooner. How do we create a sense of fulfillment with our daily responsibilities? What do we do to increase our ability to connect with one another and redefine our mission and vision?
A lack of emotional intelligence results in our inability to take constructive feedback, blaming others, passive-aggressive comments, distrust amongst staff, and a victim mentality that can slow down organizational and professional growth. In this workshop, we will introduce nonviolence communication skills to increase empathy and human connections while rewiring our purpose of what it is we do for a living, from the workplace to our everyday lives.
Participants will walk away with clarity, a greater sense of purpose, and alignment with their organizational values. **This workshop is recommended for those in management and leadership positions prior to conducting it with staff.**
"HOW TO RESPOND TO CONFLICT"
(dealing with staff dynamics)
In this workshop, we learn to listen to the messages in our bodies in situations where we feel unsafe. Conflict creates trigger responses that are often rooted in past experiences where we felt ashamed and silenced, therefore turning off our ability to respond in a healthy manner in everyday situations that often lead to tension amongst groups and individuals. We will explore these root causes, incorporate self-regulation techniques, and practice nonviolent communication to overcome these triggers.
Participants will walk away feeling in control of their responses to situations, produce healthier outcomes, and increase their confidence to express their needs.
Workshop length: 2 - 3 hours (half day) OR 4-6 hours (full day *recommended)
# of participants: 20 maximum | Great for staff retreats!
"YOUR MESSAGE IS YOUR MEDICINE"
(storytelling | Public Speaking)
- Are you having difficulty explaining what it is you do? Do you clamp up or get sweaty palms when it comes to speaking in public? Are you seeking guidance on how sharing your story? Whether you are an individual business owner or a team member of a mission-driven organization, I will walk you through storytelling prompts and a formula that will help to shape your message and deliver it within a 3 minute time span. (Stories can be longer based on the length of workshop time and number of participants.)
These stories will benefit your ability to pitch projects, create additional content for your blog or book, connect with large groups and garner public speaking opportunities to further expand your brand.
Workshop length: 2-3 hours | # of participants: 20 maximum
*An increased amount of time will give room for individuals to create more content to share and receive constructive feedback.
NOTE: Additional individualized coaching is offered for continuous growth and are tailored to specific topics you'd like to present.
"MINDFULNESS IN THE MOVEMENT"
- This workshop is for organizations that work to change systems, from policy advocates to community organizers. Often times, wellness is secondary when it comes to social change. How is it we can learn to take care of one another while taking care of ourselves? What does mindfulness look like when we incorporate it with our efforts to mobilize communities? I will take you through a guided meditation, gentle movement activities, creative writing prompts, reading material and discussions about self and collective care. Participants will walk away with tools to practice mindfulness and a renewed sense of purpose in their mission.
**Clients that will benefit are community-based organizations and direct service providers experiencing burnout.
"From social justice to social restoration"
- This is a part 2 to "Mindfulness in the Movement", where we dive into the science of how stress manifests in the body and explore additional activities to self-regulate our nervous systems from sympathetic to parasympathetic mode. The number activities will be determined by the amount of time you'd like to dedicate to these practices. Activities include: restorative/gentle yoga, emotional freedom tapping, guided meditation, body scanning, creative writing/sharing, and coaching prompts that offer space for reflection and learning lessons.
**Clients that will benefit are community-based organizations and direct service providers that are interested in creating sustainable models of well-being.
"CORPORATE YOGA AND MEDITATION"
- Need a simple tune up? Stress is an expense to the balance sheet and shuts down the sort of creative thinking that can generate profitable ideas. And it doesn't just get checked at the workplace. Stress follows us at home, in our social gatherings, and at worse - it can lead us right to hospital room with accumulated bills and missed days at work. A healthy workforce is a productive workforce, and wellness can increase confidence and self-esteem. If you're interested in a guided and yoga meditation as a short break from the stressors of deadlines or spending hours in front of a computer (without having to leave the office), look no further! Activities can be gentle and sweat-free so you can return to work feeling rejuvenated. Times can be from 30 minutes - 1.5 hours.
* As a trained life coach, yoga teacher, and theater practitioner, my workshops move beyond lectures and are centered around praxis, where participants are given the opportunity to embody these teachings through community building exercises, self-regulation techniques, and creative expression from visual arts to spoken word and theater. We often close out the space using "cyphers", or circles, where participants are invited to share their reflections as a way to build trust.
All of my workshops and talks are specifically designed to meet the goals of your organization. If you are interested in collaboration, you can email me to discuss what topic you'd like to explore, current state of your staff/student relations, and ways I can support you.
Workshop length of time ranges from 1.5 hours (minimum), half-day (3-4 hours), to full-day workshops (6-8 hours). Please contact me for rates.
Read what other organizations have to say about me in testimonials.
Is there a topic you'd be interested in exploring? Send me a message!
Past organizational collaborations include:
Boys and Girls Club of Long Beach, Khmer Girls in Action, United Cambodian Communities, Thai Development Cultural Center, Camp Wat Pa, Poly Academy of Accelerated Learning, Educated Men with Meaningful Messages, Project MotiVate, South Asian Helpline And Referral Agency, A3PCON, Search to Involve Pilipino Americans, City of Cerritos Recreation Services, Long Beach Arts Council, Dramatic Results, Create Now, Teada Productions, Great Leap Inc, Long Beach Parks and Recreation, Manazar Gamboa Community Theater, California Parks and Recreation Society, Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy, Unite Here 11, Visual Communications, Long Beach Unified School District, LA's Best Afterschool Art Program, CSU Dominguez Hills, UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, the National Youth Cooperative Convergence, California Endowment, Building Healthy Communities, and more.
Prior to working in adult and teen spaces, I worked as a professional arts educator for various non-profits and Los Angeles Unified School District for several years, teaching K-8th grade visual and performing arts while meeting all VAPA standards as a requirement of my residencies.
"The true artist, however, is a truth teller who has the ability see reality untainted by cultural filters... They can take us on an imaginary journey to a future no one has yet visited to experience possibilities we may not have imagined. Our movement needs the contribution of millions of artists devoted to liberating human consciousness."
- Excerpt from Are You A Cultural Worker?